Posted by Admin | Uncategorized | Posted on February 2nd, 2014
My brother has convinced me to put up the money to help him try to flip a house for profit. I am not sure if it is actually a sound idea, because I have never been involved in anything like this. He needed my money to make it happen though, and I am going to help him out with it. I am currently looking for companies that do shutters in the local area, as shutters are one of the things that we would like to add to the house, in order to try to drive up the selling price.
I guess that my brother wants to do most of the work himself, but the installation of these, is something that we are going to probably leave to a contractor. That is only as long as they do not cost too much money to be installed. I need to start looking around for prices, so that I can figure out how we will proceed. I would like to get this whole flipping project carried out as quickly as we can.
The sooner we are able to sell the house, the more money that I will have to spend on property taxes and other things like that. I do not want to spend very much maintaining the home, and I will see more of a profit if we can sell this home quickly. I am excited about getting shutters installed though, as I have a feeling that it should really help to make the house look better. I am actually surprised at the price my brother was able to acquire this house for, and I feel like we should be able to sell it for a good profit. That is only if everything continues to go to plan, and I sure pray that it will.
Posted by Admin | Uncategorized | Posted on January 22nd, 2014
When designing someone’s home, most people don’t realize that they can have a modern look and still have a chandelier, or some other grand lighting options.
People think that the only lighting options for chandeliers are the more traditional options and they would look out of place in a city home with have more features.
However, in today’s modern society, light designers are conscious of this. Light designers are just like any other designers, they have their eyes on the trends and they change their ideas to suit what is out there. So, if you want a chandelier in your home, then you should be able to have something designed that suits the rest of the house. You don’t have to buy something that looks out of place.
Tips for getting the right chandelier
1. Designer – You will have to choose a designer that suits you. Do your research and search on the Internet for someone that suits what you want. If they have a website, look at their previous designs and you will know straight away, what type of chandeliers they are known for. If you see their designs have a modern twist, then they will be right for you. If they have done chandeliers for grand old-fashioned halls then they might not be suitable. However, you can always contact them directly if you want to give them a chance to show you what they can do. Just because they don’t have the experience that you want, doesn’t mean that they don’t know how to change for you.
2. What do you want? – Just because you have hired a designer, doesn’t mean that you can’t have some idea in your head of what you might want. Do some drawings yourself. Do a bit of research on the Internet and see if there are any movies that have chandeliers in them, which you like. You could also use TV shows or images of hotels as your inspiration. Decide what colours that you might want to use as well. Modern chandeliers tend to have bold colours in them. Furthermore, you should think about having crystals in the chandeliers. Just because you are going for a modern look, doesn’t mean that you can’t have some aspects of tradition.
3. Don’t be afraid of the designer – The designer can intimidate some people because they think that they will know better. You don’t have to do anything that you don’t want to. It is your money and the chandelier should be the way that you want it. If you feel pressured then tell them that you really don’t like their design and see if they will make the changes. A good designer will care about what you think; they shouldn’t just force you to accept their ideas when you don’t like them. They should care about their design and not just about the money.
4. Where is it going? – Where in the house do you want the chandelier to go? Have a look around the house and look at the design of the room. Once you know this you can think about the design and size of the chandelier. You don’t want something that is too overwhelming. Then again, if you want the chandelier to be the stand out feature of the room, then you may want to make it oversized and grandeur.
5. Budget – Have the budget for the chandelier set out before you see the designer and then in your first meeting, make it clear that you have a budget that you can’t go over. If you have a little breathing room on the budget then you can make changes later.
Posted by Admin | Uncategorized | Posted on January 18th, 2014
The extreme cold of this winter can cause dangerous conditions outside. While you can’t control the weather, you can take precautions in your home to ensure that your home is weather-proofed. There are 5 safety tips you should consider this winter to protect your home and your family against the harsh weather. With wind chills that have dipped well into the negative degrees, you should act now.
The first safety precaution you should take is to maintain your furnace to ensure it has its maximum efficiency. If it has been awhile since you have had your furnace checked or serviced, you should call immediately and have a qualified heating contractor inspect your furnace, chimney and water heater. You want to make sure that your furnace is working at its fullest capacity during these cold winter months.
The second thing you need to protect in your home are your pipes. The intense cold can easily freeze your pipes, which could cause them to burst. To help prevent this from happening, you should open the cabinet doors in which your pipes are stored, to let warm air circulate around them. You should also let cold water slowly drip out of your faucet, since even a small amount of water being released from the pipes can prevent them from freezing.
The third safety tip is to make sure that you are heating your home safely. With your furnace working in overdrive, some people may try to find alternate sources of heating their home, which can be very unsafe. You should not use your gas or electric stove/oven to provide additional heat to your home. In doing so, you are allowing unnecessary gas into your home. If you are not warm enough in your home, add on layers of clothing, or use heavy blankets to provide extra warmth.
The fourth safety tip is to have your smoke detector and carbon monoxide detectors installed and maintained in your home. You should be sure to replace the batteries on a regular basis. A great tip is to change the batteries each time there is a time change. Your major home appliances, such as your furnace and dryer vent gas and air outside of your home. If snow or ice has covered these vents, then the gases are not able to leave your home. Make sure that the vents are clear and open, and also make sure that your detectors are working properly. You should call for medical attention immediately if you suspect there might be carbon monoxide in your home or if you are feeling light-headed, dizzy or nauseous.
The final cold weather safety tip is to use your generator correctly in case of a power outage. A generator should never be operated inside of your home, which includes your basement and garage. You also should not hook your generator up to your home’s wiring. Instead, you should connect whatever it is you would like to power directly to the outlets on the generator.
Posted by Admin | Uncategorized | Posted on January 15th, 2014
The impact of the good lighting
The best interior designers have the knowledge and the skills to pull out many rabbits from the hats when it comes to creating creative interior design ploys and schemes. However, many times even the best among them forget to make the best use of one interior design tool that has the aptitude to transform one place to unbelievable lengths. The tool that is often overlooked and neglected is lighting. A good lighting is the tool that transforms a house or an apartment into a home and the very thing that allows the owner’s personality to shine through. All of the meticulously researched and placed interior design details will be lost, and their impact will be diminished. That is why a good lighting is an imperative in every interior design scheme.
The top tips for achieving great ambiance through proper lighting
Before we start discussing the top tips for achieving a great interior lighting, we should state that there are such things as too much of a good thing, which means that you need to narrow down your lighting options to your ambient lighting needs. Every room in the house needs a different lighting, and you can get a sense of this notion by being irritated by an overly or slightly illuminated room.
· Bedroom lighting tips: The bedroom is the room in which you start and end the day. A proper lighting will enable you to get up and start preparing for the day without waking the person that sleeps next to you in the bed. In order to support the relaxed ambience in the bedroom, the lighting needs to be dimmed, with the added option for a supplemental lighting. This supplement comes in the form of nightstand lamp, which will enable you and your partner to enjoy your bedtime activity without risking to be agitated by the lack of proper lighting or aroused by the overly illuminated bedroom;
· Living room lighting tips: The living room lighting should match the décor of the room itself. This means that the lighting should accentuate the wall decors and the central piece of the interior. The perfect balance that you need to strike is to include a few lighting options that will enable you to enjoy the things you love or need to do (reading, working on a computer, playing an instrument) without sacrificing to lose the ambience that evokes relaxing sensations (by including one central and the overly illuminating option);
· Bathroom: One common mistake that you have to avoid making is placing a lighting directly over the bathroom mirror or relying only on a one central lighting option. The best way to make the most out of the bathroom lighting is to place two vertical lights next to the edges of the mirror’s rim. This way you will get undisturbed and direct lighting. Plus, the central option should include light diminish preference.
Task and ambient lighting
The gateway to achieving a great lighting is finding a way to include both the task and ambient lighting in your interior lighting options. While finding the proper lighting option that suits your personal need is hard, we sincerely hope that these tips will help you get one step closer to achieving a great interior lighting.
Posted by Admin | Uncategorized | Posted on January 15th, 2014
There are many type of benefits of having your basement or crawl space professionally waterproofed:
1. Increase the space and value of your home.
Most people think of the basement as little more than an old, the moisture storage space for garbage and a place to wash clothes. This is simply the wrong way to see it. Looking at it from the point of view of square feet, the basement represents an entire floor. For most people, that is one third or half of the total area of the house! This is a huge amount of wasted space, and certainly not a preferred percentage of space devoted to filtration, bacteria and mold. Adding healthy, useful space to your home will definitely increase its value, giving you an advantage if you ever decide to sell.
2. Reduce energy costs
Believe it or not, you may actually be able to save on energy costs waterproofing your basement or crawl space! When sealing old cracks you can increase your energy efficiency by preventing cold air entering during the fall and winter. Moreover, in the hot and humid months when the leaks and cracks in your foundation causing excess moisture to enter the house, the air conditioner has to work harder to get rid of warm, moist air. Moisture certainly plays a role in the efficiency of air conditioning!
3. Avoid serious risks to long-term health
We know that water and moisture cause a toxic mold to grow, but you may be surprised to learn how easy and fast it can happen! Under the right conditions, toxic black mold grow in a little as 24-48 hours! That’s scary to know, especially if lower basement seepage is something that has been missing out years. There are serious health risks posed by continued exposure to mold growth.
4. Protect your investment
Think about the day you bought your home. Remember the first months of careful decoration, cleaning, renovation and equipment? Your home is an investment, something to be proud of. By taking steps to ensure the long term health of your home’s foundation is in, you are showing your investment a little love.
5. Peace of mind
Not only is stress is linked to more and more health problems every day, it’s just good old-fashioned waste of time. You all know the feeling, that knot in my stomach as the first thunder rattle the windows before a storm. You begin to prepare the Wet -Vac, mops and cleaning products… Would not it be nice to not have to worry about cleaning up after your basement defective for a change?
Posted by Admin | Uncategorized | Posted on January 15th, 2014
Laminate flooring has a ton of benefits making it one of the main choices for flooring in many homes. This type of material is inexpensive, being made of synthetic fibers, making it less costly than other types of natural flooring on the market. There are many styles, colors, and designs to match the decor in your home too.
To make it easy to install, you can find laminate flooring that snap together with planks that have tongues and grooves. The design of the plank gives you the ability to install it in no time and with little effort. Depending on your room size, most people can have an entire room done within a day, sometimes even faster. When you are installing laminates, always read the instructions thoroughly before installing a single plank.
Because laminate flooring has a laminate base, it adds additional strength to the floor, meaning it can withstand years of wear and tear. Hardwood does not have the same durability as laminates do making this kind of flooring in high demand. If you have heavy traffic in a room, laminate floors are a great option to lie down. It wipes clean without hard scrubbing, and the condition of the surface will stay looking good year after year. Therefore, you will have floors that look new for many years.
When choosing laminates, you will notice all the different styles that are available on the market. First, there are many light and dark finishes to choose from. Plus, laminates also look like real wood in appearance and even has the feel of real hardwood floors with the raised grain finish. It is not always easy to pick out a style of laminates with all the selections available. Another great thing about this flooring is that it comes in all price ranges to fit any budget.
To install laminate floors you will need to purchase a backing already attached to the plank or lay down padding prior to installation. This helps make the flooring last longer and will insulate your floors. Some people even choose to install a below ground, radiant heating system under their laminate flooring to have warm floors even in the coldest times of the year. Laminates have many advantages that would make you want to purchase this type of flooring over any other. Cost, durability, long lasting, and beauty are just a few of the reasons to purchase this type of flooring. On the website grandtetonflooringamericajackson.com you can get Discount Flooring in Jackson WY.
Posted by Admin | Uncategorized | Posted on January 14th, 2014
Tired of spending ridiculous amounts of money on utility bills? Looking for an option which allows you to save energy while adding to the aesthetic appeal of your home? Then forget about high-tech gadgets and simply pick the right glass for your window. You need to pick the glass based on three vital factors – thermal conductivity, natural light and solar heat gain. Here are 5 types of glass that will help you save energy.
Single pane glasses work great with fixed windows. They are cheap, functional and sturdy. However, these glasses provide limited protection against extreme heat and cold. If you have got a single pane window in your home, it is time to upgrade them. Even though the upgraded version costs slightly higher than the traditional one, you can easily recover the difference in price by saving on utility bills.
Single pane window is a thing of the past; now the focus is on being energy-efficient. Double glazed window does exactly that – helps you save you on the bills. The window consists of two glass panes separated by an air space. The space in between will contain gas, which prevents the heat from flowing out of the house. Double glazed window not only insulates your home better, but also blocks out the noise from outside. If you want to reinforce your home against the dead chill of the winter, you can also try out triple or even quadruple paned window.
If you are worried that the regular glass will break and put the health of your kids and pets at risk, then you should consider installing tempered glass instead. Tempered glasses are heat-strengthened, which makes them up to four times stronger than regular glasses. Even if the glass does break, it will crumble rather than shatter in sharp shards. The insulating capacity of the glass is not bad either.
Low emittance coating is yet another popular choice with home owners. It is a form of thin metal layer that is applied to one side of the glass. The metal layer works by suppressing the amount of heat transferred. There are different specifications available in coatings for moderate, high and low solar heat gain. Buyers can customize the window as per the structure of the house and changing climate.
It is a kind of window where two glass panes are bonded together with an interlayer. There are various options available in laminated glasses ranging from clear and tinted to reflective and low-E. It offers better insulation over regular glasses, has improved sound insulation properties and also reduces the risk from broken glasses. It not just makes for a great addition for your home, but also your vehicles.
A little bit of research can go a long way in finding the perfect glass for your window. When in doubt don’t hesitate to ask a professional. A credible expert will help you find the perfect glasses that seamlessly fit your unique needs.
Posted by Admin | Uncategorized | Posted on January 9th, 2014
Managing your office is one hell of a task and excelling in that happens only with the help of organizational skills. To keep extra hassles away from your work place it is necessary that you keep yourself and your work station very organized so that things are under control and in place. One of the most common problems that people face when in office is the lack of storage space and professionals are always on the look out to improve the present condition of their office to maximize the storage space that is available. The space to store your stuff or the lack of it are important factors that help in assessing the kind of work place you have. Many people often complain that the lack of storage area is a big problem affecting the work flow and that’s not all, it also plays a role in making things messy and complicated for people who are trying to put in all their focus to get their work done within a stipulated time frame. Hence, it is always advised to enhance the storage space and keep up a neat and sleek environment in office.
Tips to get the right infrastructure to improve storage options when in work
It does not really matter whether you are working in a small office or a large multi national company, as long as you are a professional and getting paid for doing your job you need to develop your organizational skills. When it comes to staying organized it needs to come from within and should show in your work space as well. So let us focus on some of the basic ways to maximize your office storage space. The following ways are not just effective but also very easy to carry out. So make sure you have them too in your corner:
Bill binder – one of the easiest ways yo keep a tab of your bills is to have a bill binder. This is one of the easiest ways to club up all your bills together and keep them neatly in a file and stack it up in a shelf instead of just having your bills thrown around in your desk and everywhere else. If all your bills are in one place, it not just helps in increasing your storage area but also helps you to spot where you have kept them easily.
Label your boxes – you have a lot of drawers like any other office would have and there are multiple chambers within the drawers. So in this case always label the boxes or the chambers so that you know where you have kept what. If there are multiple things lying around in your desk or the chairs then it not only eats up your space but also makes it difficult for you to spot them when you need them.
Metal closed sides and back panels – these are till date one of the most effective storage spaces that need very less space but promises a lot of storage area. It is sleek giving you a professional and formal tone yet style at its minimal best. It is one of the most important pieces that you need to have at your work place where you can stuff all your files and documents and other such data that is relevant for your work.
Storage space in office is one of the most important factors that is the need of the hour for every professional working in a corporate set-up. Without any further delay it is necessary that you start incorporating these ideas in your office as well to help become a tad more organized. If nothing at all, make this your New Year resolution and stick to it to see yourself emerge as an organized professional.
Christ Thomas is a passionate blogger based in California who contributes tremendously in writing on how to enhance storage spaces at home or else where. In this article as well, she talks about storage spaces like metal closed side and back panel and other such options to improve storage facilities in office.
Posted by Admin | Uncategorized | Posted on January 9th, 2014
If you are a DIY enthusiast then you might think it’s a good idea to take charge of your home renovation on your own instead of hiring a general contractor. You probably think that you might be able to manage a bathroom or kitchen renovation if you have the skills and the time. If there are any specific areas that you feel that you cannot manage then you could hire a subcontractor, you think. However, it is very important for you to know when certain issues are too large for you to handle. Go through the following points in order to get a better idea of what to do:
1. A general contractor is always a good choice because this person always looks at the big picture and is therefore able to plan the renovation project in the best possible manner. There are always many different jobs that go into a single project such as bathroom renovation and each of them has to be done by specialists such as plumbers, masons, painters, carpenters and electricians. All the aspects of the project have to be coordinated so that they can be completed quickly and smoothly.
2. You might not know who the best subcontractor for the job is and might actually end up hiring the wrong person. If you were to give the responsibility to a contractor, on the other hand, he or she will simply hire the most suitable person out of a large list of contacts.
3. There is a lot less following up to be done if you engage a single contractor to oversee your entire project. You’ll be amazed at how much time gets eaten up just following up with people.
4. If you take on the role of a contractor then you will also be responsible for a great deal of paperwork for insurance, licenses and permits etc.
5. Hiring a general contractor for home renovation will add to your costs by a considerable amount but the overall quality of the job will also be better because of the coordinated nature of the work. There is also less chance of oversights happening.
While there are a great many advantages to hiring a contractor oversee your entire remodeling project, you will still be the best judge of what to do. If you can really manage the work on your own then you should certainly opt for calling in subcontractors as and when necessary.
Posted by Admin | Uncategorized | Posted on January 9th, 2014
Stylish, durable and economical, laminate wood flooring is immensely helpful in changing the look and feel of a home. Though laminate flooring is not real wood, it is extremely impact and scratch resistant. Laminate flooring is also highly resistant to sunlight, stains and burns and is easy to maintain. These benefits motivate many homeowners to use laminate wood flooring while renovating their homes. Laminate flooring cost less than wood flooring and also involves less installation time as compared to a hardwood floor.
Unlike wood flooring, which is composed exclusively of hardwood, laminate wood flooring is made from a combination of synthetic and non-synthetic materials. Laminate wood flooring is made by pressing the synthetic and non-synthetic materials together under high heat and pressure. It is then finished with an extremely hard, clear coating made from a special resin-coated cellulose. This coating acts as a protective layer that prevents scratches and abrasions from appearing on the surface. Laminate wood flooring is environment-friendly as it makes use of more fiber material than wood.
Laminate wood flooring is a versatile flooring product and can be installed in any room of a house except a bathroom. This is because laminate flooring can be damaged quite easily if moisture seeps into the core of the flooring. It is very cumbersome to open up the planks of laminate flooring if it gets damaged due to moisture and may require professional help.
Laminate wood flooring is suitable for families who live in high-traffic areas. They do not need wax or polish and do not fade with time. Many homeowners in the US have shifted over to using laminate wood flooring because it costs lessthan authentic hardwood flooring but conveys a similar look and feel. Laminate wood flooring can be purchased at wholesale prices over the internet or at home trade shows. If you need the best laminate flooring just visit the Fort Dodge floor store.